With the approval of the relevant Major-program Coordinators, students may complete the requirements for more than one major program and have these programs appear on their transcript. The degree awarded - BEng, BSc, BBA - will be the one associated with their first major.
The Computer Science and Engineering Department offers two programs, both of which can be additional majors. They are
- COMP: The default CSE major. When taken as a first major it offers a Bachelor of Engineering degree (BEng). When taken with a BEng degree it is accredited by the HKIE; and
- COSC: Designed to be taken as one of a double (or even triple) major degree. When taken as a first major it offers a Bachelor of Science degree (BSc). Not accredited as an Engineering degree.
Additional Major(s) for Currently Enrolled COMP Students
Students registered as COMP majors should first talk with the UG Coordinator to decide if they should have COMP as their first major or first switch to COSC. The COSC page provides more details of this process. They may pursue additional major(s) if
- they successfully fulfill the degree requirements of the additional major;
- they are approved by the department of the additional major; and
- they are approved by the UG coordinator of CSE department no later than the last day of the add/drop period in the first regular term of their final year of study.
Independent of the degree of the additional major(s), the degree students will receive is BEng (if they are registered in COMP) or BSc (if they are registered in COSC).
Non-CSE Students Pursuing An Additional Major in CSE
For other students (i.e., students NOT pursuing COMP/COSC as their first major), they may pursue an additional major in COMP or COSC if
- they successfully fulfill the COMP or COSC major requirements;
- they are approved by the UG coordinator of CSE department no later than the last day of the add/drop period in the first regular term of their final year of study; and
- they are approved by the department of their first major.
In such case, the degree the students graduate with would follow the degree associated with their first major.
Major Selection for First-Year SENG Students
If you are a 1st year SENG student who would like to choose COMP or COSC in the CSE department to double major, you should
- discuss with the CSE UG Coordinator to decide and get approval on which COMP or COSC to pursue; and
- discuss with the UG Coordinator of the other major to get their approval.
After receiving approval from both departments and if you decide to put COMP or COSC as your first major, put CSE down as your first choice during the Major Selection exercise toward the end of your first year. If you get assigned to CSE you will then be able to jumpstart your COMP or COSC program as your first major.